Winter weather is expected to impact our area later today and into this evening. Here are some links, tips and resources to help you prepare for the storm.
- You can get the latest forecast from Fredericksburg.com here.
- Find school closings and delays here.
- Track and report power outages here or by calling 1-866-366-4357.
- Check on road conditions at www.511virginia.org
- Download the ReadyVirginia Mobile App here.
This storm is expected to bring significant snowfall and extreme cold. Follow these tips from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management on how to handle the cold temperatures.
- Wear cold weather appropriate clothing like gloves/mittens, hats, scarves and snow boots. Dress in several layers of loose-fitting clothing and cover your face and mouth if possible.
- Be aware of the wind chill factor. Wind can cause body-heat loss.
- Stay dry, and if you become wet, head indoors and remove any wet clothing immediately.
- Limit your time outdoors.
- Make sure you monitor the time your children are out in the cold.
- Do not ignore shivering. It’s an important first sign that the body is losing heat. Persistent shivering is a signal to return indoors.
- If the heat in your home doesn’t work properly, contact your local government to find a warming center near you.
- Check on others who might not be able to care for themselves.
Finally, don’t forget the pets. The Department of Emergency Management has some useful resources on how to keep your pets safe during winter weather here.